Welcome to Strange Bedfellows: PNR Reviews ~ Speculative fiction with romance themes ~ What strange fellows do you get in bed with?

2.12.2013

Review of Mine to Chase

Ellora's Cave, January 2013
Mine to Chase
Laurann Dohner

available now from Ellora's Cave Publishing Inc.


I first discovered Laurann Dohner this last summer, and I totally glommed every one of her books I could get a my hands. So, naturally, I was thrilled to see a new release from her. Mine to Chase follows up on Dohner's short story, "Scarred and Kilt", in the Something Wicked This Way Comes Volume 2 anthology, though it isn't imperative that you read that story first.


Jasmine met the guy of her dreams and lost him. She’s spent a year filled with lustful fantasies and soul-deep yearning for a man who didn’t want her. Now she is locked away in a dark hole, kidnapped by a madman, her life almost over. She’ll never know what could have been, if only he’d felt the same.

She was supposed to be his but Chase walked away. To protect her from his world. He’s a mixed-breed—vampire and werewolf—and his list of enemies is endless. His mission is to hunt down and kill a rogue vampire who’s preying on humans, but what he finds changes everything. She’s one of the victims. Instinct demands he protect her, possess her. He won’t be denied again. Everything Jasmine thinks she knew is about to change. This time he’s keeping her.

Sadly, I didn't enjoy Mine to Chase as much as I hoped I would. I pains me to give this a less than favorable review, it really does. But, well . . .

This book has many of the characteristics that I love about this author's work, but the overall product didn't come together well. Things started strong with an immediate jump into the story -- something Dohner is quite good at. Then things just sort of drifted for a while, loosing oomph with each scene. Ultimately the story perked up towards the end, but not enough.

I haven't lost faith in this new favorite author of mine, but this particular book is not one I'll be revisiting. There will be an additional book coming out featuring Lethal, a side character from Mine to Chase. So maybe I'll like that one better.

No comments:

Post a Comment